Tuesday, February 09, 2010

SUNSET
The sky was doing amazing things tonight. The kids and the dogs and I were out in the gully, burning off some energy and discovering new ways of getting our feet wet. Pink and purple whisps of clouds were moving across the sky in both directions. I ran back over to the house to grab my camera to record what I was seeing.
The funny thing about the camera is that sometimes it just cannot record what it is I am seeing. I want to capture it somehow, make the moment last, look at it and savor it later. It seems that the times I want it the most, the perfect shot is most elusive.
Even the dogs were difficult to capture on film tonight. They were just too fast for my shutter speed. There would be the perfect shot, their coats sharp contrast to the green of the grass and the purple of the clouds, and by the time I got the camera at the right angle, the moment was gone.
I wanted to save those clouds for later, but even in the going in for the camera, I missed a few glorious minutes, and suddenly it was fading fast. Time is short, beauty is fleeting, and happiness is epheremal. This is tonight's theme, this, and dogs in motion:

That white blur at the top of this picture is Scout in flight.....



My beloved Rascal. I will miss him so much. We are looking at the twilight of his life right here. I give him only another couple of years. He's a saint among dogs, I've always said....

No comments: