Tuesday, January 22, 2008

TFTC!

(Thanks For The Cache)

The other night, I was doing something I have been doing a lot lately, which is to go through blogs of people who have listed "geocaching" as one of their interests. As I was flipping through blogs, I was getting bored easily and moving to the next one. I realized at some point that I was getting bored with the blogs because NONE of them were actually talking about geocaching. Those people had listed it as an interest, but when you got to the blog, none of the entries actually mentioned it at all. Sure, it is interesting to read about other people's lives and what they are thinking about, but what I really want is to hear other people talking about their geocaching experiences.
In thinking about this, I realized that MY blog doesn't really talk about geocaching very much either. I think in the past I talked about it a little, but I stopped doing it because I thought people would find it boring. What if these other people out there who list it as an interest also think the same thing? Maybe their friends are tired of hearing about it too!
At any rate, it made me realize that maybe I should write about it more, but just in a way that doesn't bore my friends to tears.
So this post is going to be one in a series of posts about

REASONS I LOVE GEOCACHING
This weekend I did some light caching on the way home from my dog show. I didn't want to do too much, because my husband was already watching the children so I could show the dog, and I had to keep his coat looking nice. So I saved the two caches that required the most hiking for last, on Sunday on the way home.
Here are the logs from my favorite two of the seven that I found over the weekend:
Karankawa Burial Ground
January 20 by hardings (775 found)
Well, after getting second best at the dog show, we did the second best thing, and went caching. I was saving this one for after the shows were over, because I knew it would be a wet walk and I didn't want to have to worry about grooming up the aftermath. The dog was trying to help me on this one, but I don't think his sniffer was going to go that far. Luckily it was an easy find once we got there. TNSL, left a geocoin we picked up on a trip out west. There were TWO guardians of the cache today, and one, a frog, did not want to get off and had to be encouraged. I have a cousin to the official cache guardian at home. TFTC!

The Deep Dark Woods
January 20 by hardings (775 found)
Found it today with the dog as we were returning home from a dog show. We hiked the about 0.20 mile from the school. As we got to about 230 ft, I saw where the arrow was pointing and did NOT want to go in there after this rain we've been having. At first glance, it looked like a swamp. Then I spied a dry way in and it wasn't too bad from there as long as we watched for mud. Took TB, left geocoin, too bad I didn't look for the special baggie because I could have given to hubby, who has served overseas twice. Thanks for the exercise and the easy find, once you make your way into there!


As I was going to bed that night, I had visions of hiking through the forest in my mind. I was replaying the walk, the excitement as I grew closer to the cache sight, the smell of the trees and the wet earth. I was hunting ammo cans in the woods in my sleep.
Today's reason that I love geocaching: it provides motivation to get out and enjoy the fresh air, combining exercise with the great outdoors.

2 comments:

Junie B said...

Goodness, I was like what is geocaching? Is that like the cache on your computer and what does it have to do with anything starting with 'geo'?

Well now I know what geocaching is.

:)

Tony M said...

Great, now you've challenged me to increase the number of posts on my blog about geocaching... of course, that won't be hard, since I don't currently have any that mention it...

Actually, my geocaching has been more off than on recently, so I really need to get back into the swing of it again. Maybe posting about it will encourage that, or I can go geocaching again in order to have something new to post...

TFTCP (Thanks For The Cache Post)!