Monday, January 14, 2008

The Relevance of "I"

Yesterday evening, I didn't want to go out. I was so stressed out that I felt exhausted and unable to move. I almost backed out of my plans with my friend. I am so glad I didn't, though.
I don't think the night was supposed to go this way, but it ended up being such a low-key evening, but with elements to it that put a smile on my face. The company was great, just a small intimate foursome, and the conversation hit on all my favorite subjects. Through the banter and the unexpected elements, we explored some of the age-old questions: What is truth? What is beauty? What is "God"? What makes men and women different? How do we determine how to live our lives most completely? How do we apply reason and logic to questions of faith, or should we?
Some of the highlights of the evening for me involved the unexpected interaction with two women who seemed to be there to teach me something. The first woman and I danced together, randomly, when I was coming back from the restroom. She wanted to tell me she thought I was beautiful. She asked me some personal questions and took off my coat, telling me I had the moves, that I was "simply sexy". I wasn't really sure of this woman's intentions, because she told me she was a mother but in the same sentence seemed to be flirting. It was odd, but I am glad it happened because it made me feel good inside, and think about what beauty is.
The other woman was a gorgeous, intellingent black woman who asked if she could join our group because we were "having the best conversations". She reminded me of what it was like to be strong and ambitious, and to never settle for less than you deserve. She also made me think about the definition of beauty.
Mostly, though, what I got out of the night was a return to "me". It is so easy to lose one's identity as a mother. You mean nothing more sometimes to your family than someone who can take care of others. Your needs or desires have no function here. I know so many women that lose themselves here and I don't want to. Sometimes, without a determined effort, I start to. I had sacrificed my desires all weekend for my children. I had forgotten there was this other part of me, the "I", that belonged out there in this world, too.
I want to explore more the idea of retaining one's identity, and why it is important. For now, though, I have to run back to my children, and forget...who I am...for a little while.

No comments: