Friday, November 10, 2006

Is Happiness overrated? I have this question because lately I have been having some minor "freakouts" (episodes of extreme sadness, crying jags, or angry outburts), maybe five or so in the last couple of weeks. It makes me wonder if I should call for help, but then I don't know who to schedule an appointment with: my doctor, who wants to diagnose every complaint I have as "allergies", my psychiatrist, who wants to put me on drugs every time I walk in the door, or my therapist(s), who feels like someone I am paying to be my friend. My best friend says I am fine and it is just a combination of lack of sleep, stress, feeling overwhelmed with responsibility at home, etc etc. I wonder if some of it is not caused by the drop in hormones at this many months post partum. I wonder this because the same elements are there that have been there the five months since my baby was born, only they are just now causing this reaction. I have been dealing with the same things all along; why would they just now begin to get to me?
I am trying to remember to take the fish oil, which seemed to help so much with "balancing my mood" during my pregnancy, during a time where I really could have been depressed with some of the things I was dealing with, but wasn't. Exercise seems to help substantially. However, I feel like I am having a very hard time dealing with my stress level lately and feel the urge to start smoking again very strongly. It was not as hard as I thought to quit, and for months now I haven't thought about it at all, and even felt disgust when I saw other people doing it, but lately every day I have been thinking about it. Is there a Nicotine Anonymous club? Because I would so go to that. I feel like I need a 'phone-a-friend' to talk me out of it and help me resist the urge.
I want to elaborate on my feelings about the overmedicating of America by the psych industry, and my various medication misadventures, but instead I think I should clean the kitchen. My husband is probably frustrated by now by the fact that I spend more time on the computer than I do doing housework (but then again he does none of the housework himself...well that is a whole different issue, watch for further posts about the women's lib movement biting us women in the ass)

1 comment:

Trey said...

I think you should try something new, not because it will make you happy, but because it may. Happy or not, however, if you spend a little time outside of your routine, it may help you to forget about the other options you've already exhausted that you already know are making you unhappy.

And don't feel bad about paying for that friend to stick around and make you feel better. Most of the time, I have to pay friends to go away, so I can feel better...whoop!