Wednesday, June 24, 2009

LOGIC
I am sitting in front of her in a chair, and she clips a questioning glance at me.
"Do you have an unusually high IQ?" she asks me in all serious. I don't really want to get into explaining this, although there is little to explain. I just smile at her and tell her I don't know anything about that.
Later, we talk about a pressing problem, and she says to me, "See, you're trying to apply logic to it. That doesn't work. It's an actual equation. Logic, applied to emotional context, equals frustration."
I don't really understand why it has to be like this. I talk to Jib about it and she says of course, emotions have very little to do with logic.
And when we talk, I tell her it reminds me of something funny. I did take an IQ test once, that I know of. It was a three day long test we took in high school, and when you were eighteen, you could get your results. Three of us went down to the counselors when we were of age and asked for the results. There were three types of tests applied. One was just a general knowledge, and two were mathematical in nature, which included quantitative and qualitative math.
My scores were where I expected them to be. Now, for those who have not looked too deep into IQ tests, what the test really means is how is your "intelligence" compared to your peers. One hundred percent means that you are exactly average. Most courts use around 70 points or below to determine mental retardation. I always figured I would score "slightly higher than normal". On this test, the "genius" level was 130. I got close to that number on two tests, but one test I scored above genius on - qualitative mathematics, or "logic".
This test was mostly recognizing patterns. Part of it involved looking at an imaginary piece of paper. The test described actions taken to the piece of paper, and you had to pick the image that best represented what the result would be. You had to recognize the pattern and anticipate the end result.
Kind of like I do at work, I think. I tell Jibber this, and she agrees.
"That's what makes you good at what you do."
And I think of Misty, who is probably the most "logical" person I know, and nights we worked together under a crazy boss. There were times I was venting, frustrated, and she looked me right in the eyes and said, "Yes, but you are applying reason to an irrational person. It doesn't work." It seems like I do that a lot.
I like reason. I want it to stick around. Reason seems like truth, reason takes in all the facts, reason does not give in to emotional impulse. Reason thinks through what they are going to say based on the circumstances, not on the fly. I like reason, but I can't say I always follow it. I believe I also have high impulsivity, which acts on emotion, and so my life is a series of logical steps interrupted by impulsive dances, all the while focusing on the patterns in attempt to gain some kind of cosmic truth.
"You must know that you are very bright," the lady says to me again, the next time we meet. "Very wise for your years."
Every time I want to agree with this statement, I think that if I took an accurate IQ test now, I would score lower. I know this man who is super smart, and makes me feel like small potatoes. It's all relative to your peers.
This same man posted something online that I found really interesting (shamelessly stoled from the HCGC boards):
"....also always tryyy to keep in mind that 2 people trying to communicate that are 10 or more IQ points apart may come away with a completely different message than intended especially if the communication is written.
This week, I might run into that man at say, a mexican restaurant, and I'm gonna ask him what his IQ is. I'm very curious now.
Then I am going to ask him,
"Now, is this general, or qualitative, or quantitative?"

I mean, let's be logical about this.

2 comments:

cosmiccowgirl said...

I did ask. His IQ is 134. I didn't ask what kind of test, though, because his wife started telling me that even though he has a high IQ, he is still "a stupid man" and we got into a man-bashing conversation. Well, maybe another time he and I can discuss tests.

Misty said...

Thanks for the holla, friend! I love your logical mind and emotional heart.