Monday, September 03, 2007

Remnants Remissed

For some odd reason, I felt compelled to tell this total stranger some key thing about my life. I found the urge very peculiar, but I liked what I had to say.

I traded horses for dogs a while back, mostly because dogs are more portable and more affordable. I wanted a horse my whole life, and so while I was growing up, I spent all my spare time with them. I took riding lessons from ages 5-17. I went to a Girl Scout camp every summer where I would get to ride, and when I was old enough I was a wrangler there, and later a horseback riding instructor in the summer. I studied them in college and worked with racehorses. I bought my own horse for myself when I was 21. I had him for five years and we had some great times. Selling him was a very difficult thing, and I still think about it with sadness. Oddly enough, I once had the occasion to speak to Sonya Fitzpatrick ("The Pet Psychic")about him about a year ago, due to my taking care of one of her pets at the emergency animal hospital. She helped me a lot.

I sometimes find it very odd, the snippets we choose to tell total strangers. The funny thing is this is not the first time I have talked about this very thing to other strangers. In my daily life, it does not come up much. Everyone knows I miss Bullseye but they figure I sort of got over it after a while.

What Sonya Fitzpatrick told me about this horse was this: That it was our fate to be seperated like that, everything happens for a reason, and even if he didn't have a better life, you were supposed to part with him. You or him, or maybe both of you, had learned what it was you were supposed to learn from each other.

What was that, that thing we learned, o horse of my heart?

No comments: